[postgis-users] Replicating ArcGIS relationship classes in PostGIS

Jochen Albrecht jochen.albrecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 21:32:18 PDT 2014

I am working on behalf of a small non-profit that has so far used ArcGIS
but is interested in moving open source. What kept them from making the
move so far is that they are heavy users of relationship classes. The only
discussion (inconclusive) that I could find was initiated by Lee
Hachadoorian in 2008. Lots has changed since and I am wondering whether
anybody has actually done this (implementing relationship classes in
PostGIS). For example, back then, Lee suggested a trial-and-error approach
to understand the encoding of relationship class tables. Have we gotten any
further on this front? I am surprised that GIS Stack Exchange has no
mentioning of this at all (assuming the search tools work).
We are using relationship classes for 1:many and many:many relationships.
This is not a problem for PostGIS; I just don't know how to migrate the
geodatabase keeping those relationships intact.
Cheers,
     Jochen