[postgis-users] Beginning in PostGIS

Luciano br.analistagis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 08:39:37 PDT 2015

Hi,
I wonder how can I update a postgresql postgis database before the
following scenario:
Always worked with shape files and update them used copy / paste between
files.
Now, think about creating a database in PostgreSQL and would like to
continue using copy / paste to update polygons, but in my database
structure is different from the shape file. For example:
Imagine that the shapefile have all the fields in one table, already in the
database, by reason of standardization, have these columns in tables
distinct. Below is an example of a register of towns.

File shape, columns:
town ​​code;
town description;
Neighborhood code;
name of the neighborhood;
block code;
Street code;
street name;

In Postgres / Gis could look like this:

Cities table (data):
- Town id
- Description of town

Neighborhoods table (data):
- Id of the neighborhood
- Description of the neighborhood
- Id of town (foreign key)

Blocks table:
- Id of the court
- Block of code
- Town id (foreign key)
- Geometry, polygon

Streets table:
- Street id
- Street name
- Town id (foreign key)
- Geometry, line

How could update (insert) a block in postgresql table using copy / paste
the shape file?
Would have to create a trigger/procedure (instead of) to automate the
process?
Fields of shape file should be equal to the fields of database table?
Some practical example as a reference?

tia
--
Luciano