[postgis-users] Loading a PostGIS dump

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Wed Aug 26 13:07:08 PDT 2015

Best advice ever: Listen to PAUL not to BRIAN. :-)

I was also going to say "what makes you think it stopped"? Stop is usually
noisy and ends with a command prompt.

Does it load the tables then set ownership? That would be easy to fix later.

My own Q -- What would be a reasonable query to run to see if it's loading?

Brian

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>
wrote:

> The COPY command used to load tables is basically 100% silent, so it
> just might have been working away. A good thing to check is 'top' to
> see if the postgres process is busy using CPU. If so, it's hard at
> work on your process. If not, then perhaps something is awry.

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Lee Hachadoorian
> <Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com> wrote:
> > New Linux machine, new PostGIS install (postgresql-9.3-postgis-2.1). I
> > created DB and added extensions. Now trying to load database using
> > postgis_restore.pl. This is a large database (63GB dump, created from
> > DB that was probably 600GB or more).
> >
> > The script ran for a while. Then it stopped at
> >
> >  setval
> > --------
> >      53
> > (1 row)
> >
> > It's been hanging out there for hours now, so I assume something is
> > hopelessly wrong.
> >
> > The loader created foo.dump.lst at 10:50am and I piped errors to a
> > text file. Errors file shows that I did not create a user who owns one
> > of the schemas. `ERROR:  role "geo_user" does not exist` appears 260
> > times.
> >
> > Can I just kill the loader script with Ctrl+C? Is database
> > recoverable? Should I just drop database and try again from the
> > beginning? Is failure related to missing role, or if not how do I
> > figure out what the error is so that I can get this to run to
> > completion?
> >
> > Best,
> > --Lee
> >
> > --
> > Lee Hachadoorian
> > Asst Professor of Geography, Temple University
> > http://geospatial.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

Brian Wilson, GISP
@brian_32768