[postgis-users] Hardware requirements for a server

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Mon Feb 9 20:07:01 PST 2015

Dear PostGIS users,

I am currently planning to set up a PostGIS instance for my lab. Turns out
I believe this would be useful for the whole center, so that I'm now
considering setting up a PostGIS server for everyone—if interest is shared
of course. At the moment, I am however struggling with what would be
required in terms of hardware, and of course, the cost will depend on
that—at the end of the day, it's really a matter of money well spent. I
have then a series of questions/remarks, and I would welcome any feedback
from people with existing experience on setting up a multi-user PostGIS server.

* My own experience is rather limited: I used PostGIS quite a bit, but only
on a desktop, with 2 users. The desktop was quite good (quad-core Xeon, 12
Go RAM, 500 GB hd), running Debian, and we never had any performance issue
(although some queries were rather long, but still acceptable).

* The use case I'm envisioning would be (at least in the foreseeable future):
- About 10 faculty users (which means potentially a little bit more
students using it); I would have hard time considering more than 4
concurrent users;
- Data would primarily involve a lot (hundreds/thousands) of high
resolution (spatial and temporal) raster and vector maps, possibly over
large areas (Florida / USA / continental), as well as potentially millions
of GPS records (animals individually monitored);
- Queries will primarily involve retrieving points/maps over given
areas/time, as well as intersecting points over environmental layers; other
use cases will involve working with steps, i.e. the straight line segment
connecting two successive locations, and intersecting them with
environmental layers;

* I couldn't find comprehensive or detailed guidelines on-line about
hardware, but from what I could see, it seems that memory wouldn't be the
main issue, but the number of cores would be (one core per database
connection if I'm not mistaken). At the same time, we want to make sure
that the experience is smooth for everyone...

* Is there a difference in terms of performance and usability between a
Linux-based and a MS-based server? My center is unfortunately MS-centered,
and existing equipment runs with MS systems... It would thus be easier for
them to set up a MS-based server.

* Does anyone have worked with a server running the DB engine, while the DB
itself was stored on another box/server? That would likely be the case here
since we already have a dedicated box for file storage. Along these lines,
does the system of the file storage box matter (Linux vs. MS)?

* We may also use the server as a workstation to streamline PostGIS
processing with further R analyses/modeling (or even use R from within the
database using PL/R). Again, does anyone have experience doing it? Is a
single workstation the recommended way to work with such workflow? Or would
it be better (but more costly) to have one server dedicated to PostGIS and
another one, with different specs, dedicated to analyses (R)?

I realize my questions and comments may be a confusing, likely because of
the lack of experience about these issues on my side. I really welcome any
feedback of people working with PostGIS servers in a small unit, or any
similar setting that could be informative!

In advance, thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Mathieu Basille.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard