[postgis-users] Hardware requirements for a server

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 01:39:02 PST 2015

Hey,
nice project =)

If you use something like qgis, each user can easily have a dozen
connection open to server, so with 10 users, you may need to use something
like pgpool.

About hardware dimension, it is more  a question for postgres list.

You may stress that your usage is probably mostly read, and that usage will
be spread on a lot of table.
Your storage being external, you may need some good network.
You didn't talk about backup, it is essential (raid, replication, backup
script?).

In my experience (research), it is totally unpractical to use a ms based
server, because all good stuff need to be compiled (sfcgal, geos, gdal,
postgis, plr ...), and it is much more easier on linux.
I solved it by using a virtualbox with ubuntu.

We used a NAS server to store postgres files, although it is was not
recommended. It worked very well over the gigabit ethernet.

About pl/r or pl/python, I used both (tough much more plpython).
For my settings the best is small function in pl language (by small I mean
not much memory and not too long (like max few minutes)) , big function
(like controlling your whole process, 60 hour computing, etc) in R or
python with postgres connector.
Or , another rule of thumb : if it fit naturally into a transaction, in pl
language, if it is bigger, python or R.

Having a dedicated R server would enable to use something like Shiny (R web
applet).

Cheers,
Rémi-C