[postgis-users] Hardware requirements for a server

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Tue Feb 10 06:13:28 PST 2015

> You didn't talk about backup, it is essential (raid, replication, backup
> script?).

I'm sorry to be "that guy": RAID is NOT a backup. Unless you snapshot
your replication machine, replication isn't a backup either (though,
like RAID, it enables High Availability (HA)).

For lack of a precise definition, a backup should allow to recover from:

* OH CRAP! WE DELETED A FILE YESTERDAY/LAST WEEK AND NEED IT BACK!
* OH CRAP! WE CHANGED A FILE YESTERDAY/LAST WEEK AND NEED IT BACK!
* OH CRAP! THE OFFICE NO LONGER EXISTS -- WE NEED NEW SERVERS NOW!

(Also remember that that "WE" could be an upset or rouge employee.
Access control is essential!)

But to the OP, I do agree with Parent, backups are _ESSENTIAL_.

A script that runs daily and simply does pg_dump, encrypts (if
necessary/desired), and uploads to e.g. S3 each day will be invaluable
to you when you actually need it. I offer that as a very simple example.
 If your organization already has a backup process, I would suggest
trying to tie into that

Jim