[postgis-users] TopologyException: geom is invalid

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 10:40:00 PST 2015

I ran the following against all 4 of my GeoJSON files:
SELECT ST_IsSimple(ST_GeomFromGeoJSON('@poly'))SELECT ST_IsValid(ST_GeomFromGeoJSON('@poly'))SELECT ST_IsValidDetail(ST_GeomFromGeoJSON('@poly'))SELECT ST_IsValidReason(ST_GeomFromGeoJSON('@poly'))
where @poly contained each one of the following:
http://microflush.org/stuff/json/MN.jsonhttp://microflush.org/stuff/json/mnz091.json
http://microflush.org/stuff/json/CA.jsonhttp://microflush.org/stuff/json/nwsZone.json

The select returned no error.  I tried to vary the input slightly to make sure I was using the proper syntax, and was able to get errors-- such as:
DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  geometry contains non-closed rings

So, it would seem my geoms are ok.
I've not yet tried the "ST_MakeValid".   But wouldn't the above indicate they're already valid?
Thanks!