[postgis-users] PostGIS supported by which ArcGIS

Adrian Term adrian.term at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:23:50 PST 2015

I have the following setup :
ArcGIS 10.2.2 for Desktop Advanced
ArcGIS 10.2.2 for Server
QGIS 2.6.1 Brighton
PostgreSQL 9.2.9-3
PostGIS 2.1

I managed to make them all hear each other following this instructions :
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//002p000000t4000000
Data is loaded  from ArcGIS with the "Import feature class (single)"  with
the "PG_Geometry" configuration keyword in Geodatabase Settings.
With ArcGIS I can connect, view, edit and save the data stored in the
"esrified" PostgreSQL/PostGIS  database tables.

Unfortunately, when I try to do the same thing in QGIS i get an error
message :
"Errors: ERROR: 1 feature(s) not added.

Provider errors:

PostGIS error while adding features: ERROR: column "shape" is of type
geometry but expression is of type st_geometry"

On the other hand, I tried to do the same thing with UDIG and everything
works perfect.

I assume that the issue in QGIS is something about what Birgit mentioned :

"If ArcGIS writes geometries into the PostgreSQL database it names the
geometry column as "shape" with the datatype "geometry"

Any ideas ?

Adrian