[postgis-users] PostGIS supported by which ArcGIS

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jan 15 12:41:43 PST 2015

It sounds like you loaded data with ESRI ST_Geometry format.  I don't think
QGIS has direct support for ESRI ST_Geometry, but I think uDig does.

Those instructions you point to sound like for configuring ESRI's
ST_Geometry data type.  PostGIS datatype is just called geometry and a
completely different ball of wax.

You should probably use these instructions:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//002p0000006v00000
0

The two sets of types while sounding the same and even having some
overlapping functions do not talk to each other and are incompatible with
each other.

I think the benefit of ESRI type is it's easier to use ESRI's versioning
plumbing, but you are limited with what tools you can use with it since I
think most commercial and open source tools understand PostGIS, but fewer
understand the ESRI ST_Geometry type.

This is from a person who only uses ArcGIS passingly when forced to, so take
my historical bent as a bit bent :)

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____