[postgis-users] Evenly distributing a point set

Mark Wynter mark at dimensionaledge.com
Sun Jan 25 20:04:54 PST 2015

> These points were created from a GPX file along a road journey so they crudely map to a line string

"Map matching" is the term often used to describe the process of assigning noisy Gpx points to underlying road network.

> I was thinking compute the KNN distance for each point and remove those that have a KNN < a threshold (say 100 metres)

Not sure what your data is like-

Perhaps look at st_linesubstring where you can use generate series to produce a sequence of relative positions

> Is that the best way to go about it?**************

You may need to explore different methods - a method that works with your training dataset may not work so great on other Gpx datasets that were collected under different conditions