[postgis-users] Distance between two furthest points of a group

Jonathan Moules J.Moules at hrwallingford.com
Mon Jul 13 08:41:33 PDT 2015

Thanks for the replies, interesting stuff.

I ended up using ST_ConvexHull(st_collect(geom)) in PostGIS (nice and fast) to create a polygon covering all the points, and then I used FME to measure the distance between all the vertices of that hull and the greatest distance was my answer. The hull being a much smaller dataset, it was much faster than it would have been had I tried to measure the billions of potential distances between millions of points.

I suspect the later part can be done in PostGIS too, but I needed to do some other bits in FME with the data, and as I know it much better than PostGIS, that seemed like the expedient option, ST_LongestLine in particular from the responses I saw here.

Thanks,
Jonathan