[postgis-users] Parallelisation provides powerful postgis performance perks (script + ppt slides) [x-posted: pgsql-performance]

David Haynes haynesd2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 07:24:27 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am a researcher at the University of Minnesota, US. who is working on a
project that uses PostGIS as our platform. I have been researching a number
of PostgreSQL platforms that claim to support parallelizing PostGIS or
geographic analysis. I am interested to learn more about the wrapper you
have written. Have you looked into the other platforms such at pg_shard
(CitusDB), or postgres-xl? We have not found them effective for actually
distributing a spatial query. However, I will test your code out in our use
case.

When I briefly look at the text you have written in the "Quick Example" It
seems that you are distributing your query by an ID field. I am wondering
how your method would apply to raster datasets? Distributing geographic
data by an ID can get you into problems because of the dependency for
certain analytical functions.

This sounds great, hope to hear back from you soon.