[postgis-users] SQL vs. Extensions

Yoder, Andrew (AYODER) AYODER at arinc.com
Mon Jun 1 16:15:27 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am a Postgres DBA, new to PostGIS, working at a company that uses PostGIS.  I am building a new database using PostgreSQL 9.4 and PostGIS 2.1.

My question:

Previously the databases here have been built by installing the PostgreSQL and PostGIS packages, and then running the postgis.sql and spatial_ref_sys.sql scripts provided by the install.  I am experimenting with installing PostGIS via extensions only.  To test, I installed two databases using PostgreSQL 9.4, one the old way of installing the packages and running the scripts, and one with the packages and using the postgis, postgis_tiger_geocoder,  and postgis_topology extensions – both were into a newly created template_gis database.   The issue is I do not believe I have installed everything that needs to be installed.  Building the database using the first method yielded an install with 3258 functions owned by postgres user.  Using the extensions approach I have only 2685.  There may be more items missing – this is all I compared before searching for information on the internet.  From the extensions portion of the manual, it only mentioned using postgis and postgis_topology (with tiger geocoder appearing to be an “extra”).

Please forgive the crude comparisons done.  Any input on what I am missing, or if the lesser number of functions is “normal” would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Andy Yoder