[postgis-users] Can geocode() deal with NYC Hyphenated address numbers and other special types?

draco doc dracodoc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:56:08 PST 2015

Hi,

I found there are many special format of addresses that valid in their
local area, but could be quite difficult for geocode() in Tiger Geocoder.

Here is a US street address standard document
<https://www.fgdc.gov/standards/projects/FGDC-standards-projects/street-address/index_html>.
Started from page 36 of the final draft, several special cases were listed:

4. Milepost Complete Address Numbers (Example: "Milepost
240").

5. Grid-style Complete Address Numbers (Example:
"N89W16758"). In certain communities in and around southern
Wisconsin, Complete Address Numbers include a map grid cell
reference preceding the Address Number.

6. Hyphenated Complete Address Numbers (Example: "5-
5415"). In some areas (notably certain parts of New York City,
southern California, and Hawaii), Complete Address Numbers
often include hyphens.

I have 18 million address to geocode, and all these special cases can be
found in my data. From my test, geocode() seemed not be able to recognize
these cases which is totally understandable for me.

My questions is, is it possible to modify input a little bit to get a
better than nothing result?

For example, if the NYC hyphenated address cannot be recognized, can we at
least remove some part and get a rough location? I have address like this
"40-12 28 AVE , New York City, NY 11103", where 40 is block, 12 is house
number in block. I tried to just remove the 12 and keep the 40 which is
block number, but all I can get is still just the 28 ave.

Thanks!