[postgis-users] Substantial different index use between 9.5 and 9.6 using Postgis

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat Dec 3 11:40:20 PST 2016

Bill,

Never mind. Thanks to Brian Hamlin's nudging on IRC that he sees the issue
too, I was able to replicate it.

I think the reason I missed it in my testing is that it doesn't happen with
the more common cases of:

SELECT e.gid
FROM e1 , e2
WHERE ST_Intersects(e1.geom, e2.geom);

Or where you use constants in ST_MakePoint like your example

But only in case where you have:

SELECT e.gid
FROM e1 , e2
WHERE ST_Intersects(e1.geom, ST_SetSRID(ST_MakePoint(e2.longitude,
e2.latitude),4326)  );

So I'll go ahead and ticket it and try to track down the root cause.  I
suspect it affects all our relation functions.

Thanks for bringing to our attention,

Regina
http://www.postgis.us
http://postgis.net