[postgis-users] Is PostGIS effectively LGPL?

Bruce Momjian bruce at momjian.us
Wed Dec 21 10:28:49 PST 2016

I know PostGIS is GPL licensed.  However, I thought the major difference
between the GPL and the LGPL was that the LGPL didn't require
applications that link with the LGPL software to honor the LGPL
requirements.

Since PostGIS doesn't force applications that link to PostGIS to honor
the GPL license, isn't PostGIS more like LGPL than GPL?  Here is the
linking exception in the PostGIS FAQ:

        http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/PostGIS_FAQ.html#license_faq

FYI, This differs from the Free Software Foundation's interpretation of
the GPL linking/license-transfer requirement:

        https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce at momjian.us>        http://momjian.us