[postgis-users] Is PostGIS effectively LGPL?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Dec 21 11:12:36 PST 2016

I wouldn't say essentially LGPL.

The thing is that when PostGIS is used, it is via linking or the psql  and similar driver API.  So e.g. PostgreSQL can exist without PostGIS and your software can call PostGIS functions without embedding PostGIS into it and alls stored functions are in source code anyway if you sell to a customer.

It falls under this exception:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SystemLibraryException

Now if you were to take the source code of PostGIS and compile it into your own software, then your software I think would then be governed by the

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IfLibraryIsGPL  you describe.

Just my two cents,
Regina