[postgis-users] loading raster colour heatmap data or converting to a shape file

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Fri Feb 5 10:27:04 PST 2016

This all depends on the kind of operations you want to do... Some might be easier keeping rasters as raster. Others are easier if you convert everything to vector.

You can easily convert raster loaded in PostGIS to vector using ST_DumpAsPolygons(). The reverse operation is done through a mix of ST_AsRaster() and ST_Union().

Pierre