[postgis-users] prj2esri.org

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Jan 11 18:29:14 PST 2016

On 01/11/2016 06:34 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> I found this Boundlessgeo website, prj2epsg.org <http://prj2epsg.org> that converts the .prj from a shapefile to an epsg code. Can someone explain how you determine the correct epsg code from a .prj file?
>
> Thanks,
> Clifford Snow

I've had this problem.  I have no idea how you'd do it in code, when I've needed to do it I read the .prj file, find some kind of descriptive text (for example "iowa north"), then search for it here:

http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/?search=iowa+north&srtext=Search

I try to match up corresponding numbers (like standard_parallel, latitude_of_origin, etc).  Oh, match feet/meters too.

It's usually pretty simple to do by hand.  Is that an option or do you need code for this?

-Andy