[postgis-users] Postgres as cache and renderer for vector tile server

Robert Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Mon Mar 21 09:10:50 PDT 2016

Hey Peter - no dumb endeavors only dumb implementations :)?  Don't know if
my implementation is dumb or not but I am currently using Drupal to
generate GeoJSON vectors.  Since Drupal has caching in it's core I am
relying on it to provide this which it seems to do OK (up to about 500
points it performs acceptably, large polygons obviously pose greater
challenges).

The dumb part of this stack is that the "tiling" part of the module that
serves up the vectors is not tiled at all, rather, it relies on BBOX
containment, so it is not a very efficient cache.  I am currently setting
out the steps for modifying the module in question (View GeoJSON) to
respond to Vector tile requests.  If you are at all interested in this
solution, below are some links to the proposed tiling schema and the
modules that form the basis for the approach.

Vector Tiling in Drupal/Views GeoJSON: https://www.drupal.org/node/2690877
Drupal GeoField: https://www.drupal.org/project/geofield
Geofield PostGIS sub-module: https://www.drupal.org/project/geofield_postgis

Regards,
robert

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Peter Devoy <peter at 3xe.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone here tried using Postgres as the caching layer in a vector tile
> server?
>
> I need to set up a tile server and what I am thinking is have PostGIS cut
> up
> geometries into GeoJSON vector tiles as requests come in and cache the
> JSON for
> said requests in some other Postgres table(s) using a JSON/JSONB column.
> Then
> just have a cron job or something set up to prune the cache table so that
> the
> least frequently accessed tiles get removed.
>
> I know there are existing vector tile server solutions but I would like to
> be
> serving tiles in British National Grid rather than web mercator so they
> would
> all need some hacking.  I also have reservations about their architecture
> --
> I would rather not complicate my stack if Postgres can handle it.
>
> Is it a dumb endeavour?
>
> Kind regards
>

> Peter

Robert W. Burgholzer
 'Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated
simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.'  - Charles Mingus
Athletics: http://athleticalgorithm.wordpress.com/
Science: http://robertwb.wordpress.com/
Wine: http://reesvineyard.wordpress.com/