[postgis-users] Postgres as cache and renderer for vector tile server

Brian Panulla bpanulla at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:56:08 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Peter Devoy <peter at 3xe.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion Brian.  I did look into it but understood it
> using non
> Spherical Mercator projections couldn't be done without hacking/extension?

That's probably fair. I can't say I know much about tiling those
projections. We copy and convert our shapes to Spherical Mercator in
PostGIS specifically for tile serving. We do have a thin layer in front of
TileStache to convert Bing Maps quadkeys to X/Y/Zoom though.

I completely missed the significance of this aspect of your question! :)
Now I'm really curious.

> Another reservation I have about Python tile servers is the extent to which
> their ability to scale could be hampered by the Global Interpreter Lock.
> Do you
> happen to have done any load testing?

We've scaled horizontally. We serve 3 million tiles a week using two
virtual TileStache servers with multiple WSGI threads each, fronted with
CDN for caching. Our only performance hiccups have been Mapnik rendering
tiles at some of the mid-range zoom levels, where we still show full
polygons but the individual tiles cover a large enough area that the data
is intensive. Luckily we are able to tune our caching to compensate for
this due to varying data life cycles.

But that said, these are shaded raster Choropleth map tiles, so I doubt the
same performance constraints would affect vector tiles as there's no
rendering.

-B