[postgis-users] Compile PostGIS for PostgreSQL 9.5 64bit Windows without VC

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sun May 29 13:31:35 PDT 2016

Paragon, my company, is the package maintainer for PostGIS for windows on
stackbuilder and experimental builds on this page
http://postgis.net/windows_downloads/

These are built under MinGW 64/Msys, not Visual Studio 2015.

We are in the middle of upgrading our build environment to use MSys2 and
MinGW64 4.9 (right now the 64-bit builds are built with MinGW 64 gcc 4.8.3)

And the 32-bit are built with MinGW64-w32 4.8.1

You may be interested in looking at BigSQL if you don't want VS at all.
http://www.bigsql.org/postgresql/installers.jsp

They build their whole windows stack on MSys2/MINGW64 gcc 4.9.2.

Though our GCC is a little older, I've been able to swap out their binaries
with ours and also use some of their extensions on PostgreSQL 9.5 EDB.

Note that their 9.4 is not compatible with EDB 9.4  (or our 9.4 binaries)
because EDB only resently switched their postgresql to enable-float8-byval
in 9.5 .

I expect 9.6 to be compatible between all 3 as well though I haven't
experimented with BigSQL 9.6 -
http://www.bigsql.org/postgresql/sandboxes.jsp

Thanks,

Regina