[postgis-users] Problem extracting SQL Server Geometry (or, what is the 0x character?)

Ben Madin ben at ausvet.com.au
Fri Oct 14 17:03:24 PDT 2016

G'day all,

I hope a simple case of something I've missed, but we are trying to extract
data from a SQL Server database into PostGIS use tds_fdw... the data in SQL
Server appears to be in WKB - but when when connect to this field we have a
precursor 0x. I can't find any references to anyone else suffering this
problem, but that could be because I'm trying a lazy approach to automate
retrieval of hundreds of tables using the FDW (that's what it is for,
right?)

I'm left with a sense that it is an encoding error between the two systems?
I've tried making the fdw column text instead of geometry, but I can't get
rid of the 0x, and no amount of trying to cajole the text to any other form
makes it any happier.

To complicate it, for testing I'm going from SQL Server 2014 (running in
Windows 8.1 in a VM) to PostgreSQL 9.4 on a Mac (El Capitan) using tds_fdw
compiled on the same mac. POSTGIS="2.2.2 r14797" GEOS="3.5.0-CAPI-1.9.0 r0"
PROJ="Rel. 4.9.2, 08 September 2015" GDAL="GDAL 2.1.1, released 2016/07/07"
LIBXML="2.7.8" LIBJSON="0.12.1" RASTER

Any ideas gratefully received?

cheers

Ben

m : +61 448 887 220

e : ben at ausvet.com.au

10 High Street, Fremantle
Western Australia

on the web: www.ausvet.com.au

This transmission is for the intended for a mailing list and is clearly
never going to be confidential information. If you have received this
transmission in error, apologies! The contents of this email are the likely
ill-educated opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Ausvet
unless expressly stated otherwise. Thanks for reading. An even bigger
thanks for any help you can provide.