[postgis-users] QGIS + PostGIS in production environment

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jun 15 11:38:08 PDT 2017

Felipe,

Are you having problems currently or you just asking a general question for future consideration?

Your PostgreSQL and PostGIS are pretty old.

PostgreSQL 9.2 is reaching end of life in a couple of months - https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

, so you should probably upgrade that soon to something like PostgreSQL 9.6, or 10 when it comes out in Sept/October.

PostGIS 2.3 is the latest version and PostGIS 2.4 we are going to try to release around Sept to go along with PostgreSQL 10.

As far as OS, PostgreSQL/PostGIS runs best on FreeBSD  or Linux.  Most high-end PostgreSQL users seem to prefer FreeBSD, but that might be a historical thing rather than performance thing, maybe some folks can speak to that.

I've had pretty good performance on windows, but I think as you add more users the process spunning (vs. prefer thread spunning on windows) might make it less performant. I have certain things that necessitate me running often on windows.  For GIS usage, I've found Ubuntu seems to have the best menu of packages and most preferred by GIS folk, so probably a good one to go with if you are new to Unix/Linux and just want to get stuff from repos and have a good balance of performance and availability of prepackaged goods.

That said questions on OS/ Hardware require more consideration than performance.  A lot these days is just your comfortability with these things.

For PostgreSQL, whatever you do, you'll probably want SSD disks and RAM tends to be more important than CPU especially for PostGIS.

Hope that helps,

Regina

http://postgis.us