[postgis-users] QGIS + PostGIS in production environment

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 11:38:56 PDT 2017

Hello Felipe,

My name is George and I'm also from Brazil.

>From the top of my head here, I have a few questions for you:

1. Why are you using different ports for each database? Does this mean that
you are using one database cluster for each database? If so, that might not
be good. PostgreSQL is capable of holding multiple databases in the same
cluster.

2. You might benefit from a connection pooler, such as pgpool. QGIS makes a
few connections for each user with the database. Each open connection takes
RAM memory from the server, which may take things slow after a while. The
connection pooler will reuse the same available connections, saving memory
and time when users need to connect to the database.

3. Your servers are using older versions of PostgreSQL and PostGIS. There
is a lot of new and neat stuff on newer versions. Be careful with the
upgrade, if you're going to do it.

4. Tune your database. This sort of database has specific needs. I don't
have a link right now, but look for "tuning PostGIS". There was an article
by Boundless that had a lot of information on tuning PostGIS. Important
thing here: measure first, tune, measure, tune, etc.

If you need further assistance, let me know!

Thanks and good luck!

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Cap Diniz <diniz.felipe at eb.mil.br> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am from the Cartographic Production Department from the Brazilian Army,
> and we are trying to migrate from ArcGIS to QGIS+PostGIS.
>
> We are currently using QGIS 2.14.15, PostgreSQL 9.2, PostGIS 2.1 and we
> mostly do data digitizing over an orthoimage. We have about 50 simultaneous
> users in a single PostGIS server, but in different databases and ports (we
> use 5 different ports in production, one per project).
>
> I would like to know if there are any tips to improve performance and QGIS
> reliability, such as tuning PostgreSQL, changing versions, operating
> systems, hardware recommendations, or QGIS specifics.
>

> Regards,
> Felipe Diniz

George R. C. Silva
Sigma Geosistemas LTDA