[postgis-users] postgis-users Digest, Vol 189, Issue 2

Giuseppe Broccolo g.broccolo.7 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 01:12:52 PDT 2017

Hi Ben,

> Hi Giuseppe
>
> Apologies for the typo. The error is this:
>
> ERROR: could not find function "gserialized_gidx_geog_overlaps" in
> /usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/postgis-2.3.so
>
> I have updated at least two hosts without any issues. but this particular
> one gives me trouble.
>
> All the hosts are linux::
>
> Linux ldevpg-db03.fcc.gov 2.6.18-419.el5 #1 SMP Wed Feb 22 22:40:57 EST
> 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I used source code and did the configure/make/make install.
> I did try to uninstall the postgis2.3.0 and reinstall it again. But the
> problem persists.
> I even did a database server restart but the problem is still there.

Ok, so PostGIS has been installed compiling source code, did you use the
tarball from the Download area of the official site?

Anyway, here the /usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/postgis-2.3.so compiled object has not
defined the gserialized_gidx_geog_overlaps function, used in BRIN support
added in PostGIS 2.3.0 the last year. Weird, because that piece of code
should not be used by PostgreSQL 9.2. I'm wondering if
/usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/postgis-2.3.so is containing actually 2.0 definition.
Maybe something went wrong during manual installation. One attempt I'd do
is to recompile 2.0 shared object, so that /usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/postgis-2.0.so
is created again, do a make clean of 2.3 and recompile again, than try to
run ALTER EXTENSION (both shared object versions should be present in
/usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/). If this does not work, please add further details
about PostgreSQL installation, and how to reproduce the same steps, in
order to understand what's gone wrong - you mentioned that in other
installations all's gone fine, maybe there are here different starting
conditions.

Giuseppe.