[postgis-users] [XX000] ERROR: AddToPROJ4SRSCache: could not parse proj4 string

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Nov 13 10:24:34 PST 2017

That is so odd.  I thought the ST_Transform would always use PostGIS so not sure how those two could be different.

Only thing I can think of is perhaps ogr is somehow loading a different proj from PostGIS.

For example on Windows when I switched from proj 4.8 to proj 4.9.3, I think the library name changed from libproj-9.dll to libproj-12.dll
So maybe your apt-get is getting 4.8 and that is what is being used by ogr.

So it's possible I guess that GDAL is dynamically loading the old one in your case for ogr_fdw and new one in general PostGIS use.

Though it puzzles me that GDAL would even come into the picture when using ST_Transform since that just depends on proj and is a postgis function.  Then again proj I think is dynamically loaded in both cases so it's possible.

One other experiment,

On your fdw table, does this error out?  Trying to rule out ogr as culprit and check if it's some other bit being added to the geometry itself.

-- bulk load your fdw into new table
SELECT * INTO tmp_from_fdw  FROM your_fdw_table_here;

-- test with new table
SELECT ST_Transform(geom,4326) FROM tmp_from_fdw;

Presumably if it’s the fdw at fault, then your bulk inserted table should work.

Hope that helps,
Regina