[postgis-users] Getting started with PostGIS Raster

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Nov 23 17:02:55 PST 2017

Brennan,

This workshop that came out recently is a pretty good primer for PostGIS
raster:

https://github.com/lcalisto/workshop-postgis-raster

Do you have postgis installed?  If you do

CREATE EXTENSION postgis;

Will give you postgis raster functionality.

If you don't have it installed already - this page has some binary
installers for various OS and links to some instructions -
http://postgis.net/install/

Once you have PostGIS installed, and run CREATE EXTENSION postgis;  in your
database.

Do

SELECT postgis_full_version();

You should see something like this:  (note latest version is 2.4.2, I'm one
micro-behind

POSTGIS="2.4.1 r16012" PGSQL="100" GEOS="3.6.2-CAPI-1.10.2 4d2925d"
PROJ="Rel. 4.9.3, 15 August 2016" GDAL="GDAL 2.2.2, released 2017/09/15"
LIBXML="2.7.8" LIBJSON="0.12" LIBPROTOBUF="1.2.1" RASTER

Once you have PostGIS installed, to load raster data in your database, use
raster2pgsql - covered here (depending on your OS, the raster2pgsql might be
in a separate package from the PostGIS server stuff)

http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.4/using_raster_dataman.html#RT_Loading_Rast
ers

Hope that helps,

Regina