[postgis-users] Handling N-d arrays in PostGIS

Giuseppe Broccolo g.broccolo.7 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 01:04:27 PDT 2017

Hi Antonio,

> Hello,
>
> Whether PostGIS allow importing 3-d, 4-d, etc. arrays or only 2-d arrays?
>
> Specifically, I have a 3-d array with axes (time, lat, lon).
> Does this mean that I need to split it onto 2-d bands (lat, lon) and
> import the number of bands that is equal to the number of time steps
> in the 3-d array?

Which is the data source from which you import the data (e.g. textual,
etc.)?

If I've correctly understood, you have arrays where geospatial and
non-geospatial information
is present, each one providing a "dimension" of the array.

Just FYI, in PostGIS is possible to define mixed, structured data with
constructors like POINTM
and POINT, that allow to add a further dimension to the 2D/3D
(respectively) geospatial ones, that
includes a scalar information.

Hope this can help in your import, otherwise provide more information about
source data and how
you'd like to import.

Giuseppe.