[postgis-users] MGRS reference system

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:03:57 PDT 2018

I have done a lot of work with the US National Grid (USNG) which is very similar to the MGRS. It is a bit of an odd coordinate system because it uses one string rather than two numbers for the coordinate, as such it doesn't really fit into a geometry type directly (and that is ignoring that it technically defines areas not points).

To deal with this, I store the coordinates in a "normal" coordinate system in PostGIS and wrote a PostgreSQL binding to my C++ library to convert to/from the string form only for input/output [1].  I have developed and tested this in so far as what I have needed personally.  I'm sure there is further work needed (PRs welcome).  Also, note I've done all this on Linux and have no idea if it works under Windows.

Another (potentially more Windows friendly) option could be to use PL/v8 and adapt my JavaScript USNG implementation [2] or the Proj4JS MGRS implementation [3].

[1] https://github.com/klassenjs/usng-tools-cxx

[2] https://github.com/klassenjs/usng-tools-js

[3] https://github.com/proj4js/mgrs