[postgis-users] Bounding Box of Spatial Index for Points

Frederick Powers orangehandle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 05:30:05 PST 2018

Greetings,

How is the bounding box determined when creating a spatial index for point
geometries?   It's my understanding that creating a spatial index utilizes
bounding boxes, which makes sense to me for lines and polygons, but I had a
hard time finding information on how that works for points.  Do points get
bounding boxes as part of their spatial index, or are they handled some
other way?

Any help on an explanation of this would be appreciated, thank you.

-frederick