[postgis-users] PostGIS case usages

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Oct 30 15:47:23 PDT 2018

Oops, some of my example links in the previous message got duplicated, sorry about that, here it is again:

—————————

Hi Regina,

Sorry about the all over the place character of my list, but we use PostGIS quite a bit.

City of Saint Paul, Public Works:

  *   Local caching of offsite Geo-data from other gov gencies (About 60 layers in all).
     *   Other Municipalities
     *   Counties
     *   States
     *   Federal
     *   Reginal
  *   Local caching of offsite Geo-Data related to conveyence sharing
     *   Bike Shares (LIME, BIRD, etc)
     *   Scooter Shares (LIME, NICERIDE, etc)
     *   Car Shares (Car2Go, recently decommissioned)
  *   AVL (GPS) tracking data storage
     *   Maintenance Fleet Vehicles.
     *   Cell Phone Tracking
  *   Logging of Spatial requests to Map Services.
     *   Apache logging of Spatial requests to Map Services.
     *   Generation of Time-lapse filmstrips of (on a daily basis):
        *   AVL Tracking<https://www.dropbox.com/s/15c6awmbd57vw54/latest.webm?dl=0>,
        *   Bike/Scooter Shares (just starting this . . .)
        *   Map Service Activity<https://www.dropbox.com/s/587w7jb2e6pew10/latest_activity.webm?dl=0>.
  *   Property Assessment Analysis (this was a fun one!)
     *   Relating Parcels Frontages to Street and Alley Centerlines and displaying the output on a dynamic Web Map.
     *   Ties together these elements :
        *   Address Database (City),
        *   Parcel Dataset (County REST service cached locally in POSTGIS (Daily)
        *   Street Centerline dataset (City, Public Works - Admin)
        *   Alley Centerline dataset (City, Public Works - Maint.)
     *   And generates a view like this<https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xip29f9xdwqz4g/Screen%20Shot%202018-10-30%20at%205.06.03%20PM.png?dl=0> on the fly inside of our (GeoMoose) web interface.
     *   All SQL based (with heavy usage of PostGIS functions).
  *   Place finder (FIDO).  We generate a searchable location database by crwaling all our spatial datasets and loading the data into Postgres/PostGIS for keyword searching.
     *   Any infrastruture ID # can be used to lookup and zoom to in our Mapping interface.
  *   Photo/Document finder.  Similar to FIDO, we use a connection to a MapWarper digitizing service which store sthe data behind the scenes in Postgres/PostGIS and we use the data in the GeoMOOSE webservice for Document<https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9xp0vp0qro5oga/Screen%20Shot%202018-10-30%20at%205.18.26%20PM.png?dl=0> discovery.
     *   Works with Point, and Polygon georeferncing.
  *   Street Level photo library (2.5 million street level and oblique photos)
     *   Similar to Google Street View, but higher resolution
     *   Camera focal length and bearing is stored for each photo in Postgres/PostGIS and used to generate a location targeted photo collection result.
     *   A point is picked on a map, and all the photos pointing at the desired location are displayed in the response<https://www.dropbox.com/s/huwr7326hzlgp3s/Screen%20Shot%202018-10-30%20at%205.27.14%20PM.png?dl=0>.

There are a bunch of other other uses as well,  but this is the high level stuff.

bobb