[postgis-users] PostGIS case usages

Stephen V. Mather svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
Tue Oct 30 16:43:33 PDT 2018

Probably my favorite use of PostGIS at my place of employment is with pgRouting and trails -- we calculate and cache trail routes on a 3D network, which allows us to automatically extract elevation profiles, and gives better time estimates for walking and horseback riding (using Tobler's function https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobler%27s_hiking_function).

See e.g. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cleveland-metroparks/trailsforthepeople/master/trail.PNG

You can play with it here:
https://maps.clevelandmetroparks.com
Cheers,