[postgis-users] PostGIS case usages

Tom Kazimiers tom at voodoo-arts.net
Wed Oct 31 12:15:30 PDT 2018

Hi Regina,

It might not really fit the book, because it's not exactly GIS, but our
PostGIS use case is certainly an interesting one as well: As a software
engineer at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, I work on a
collaborative neuron reconstruction and analysis software called CATMAID
[1] [2] (screenshot: [3]), which is used for neuroscience research. We
use PostGIS to represent neurons in a 3D space. They consist of 3D
points that reference their parent nodes or are the root [=soma of
neuron] if they have no parent). Together with synapses, point clouds
and TIN meshes for modeling compartments in a dataset, they model the
spatial aspects of our neuroscience world. Users create those neuron
reconstructions manually in a collaborative fashion plus segmentation
programs can be used as additional data source. Using its spatial
indices, PostGIS helps us to quickly query neurons in a particular field
of view. The space of a single project contains sometimes 100s of
millions of interconnected individual points. We also do bounding box
intersection queries between neurons and compartment meshes, which then
refine in the front-end by doing more precise intersection tests.

This software is used by quite a few research labs and as far as I know
they all do their own hosting with a dedicated server and this is what
we do as well. The reason being mainly that wth larger datasets, we
benefit from machines with a lot of RAM (>256G), fast SSD/NVMe drives
and many CPUs as well as fast local data access for e.g. image data.

Thanks so much for making PostGIS work well in non-GIS contexts too---it
makes my live much easier! Looking forward to the book!

Cheers,
Tom

[1] https://www.catmaid.org
[2] https://github.com/catmaid/CATMAID