[postgis-users] Slow construction of GiST index, but better with smaller # of big rows

Bo Guo bo.guo at gisticinc.com
Sun Jan 13 09:00:41 PST 2019

Wenbo,

The law of physics is in play here.  I think your approach is creative
and valid.  I wish Postgis offered grid-base spatial index which grouped
geometry BBOXs in grids with user defined levels /sizes.  A couple of
other thoughts:

1. You may also look in to table partitioning to physically breakup the
large table.

2. In addition, depend on how your data is used and whether or not the
data is static, vector-tiling/cacheing the geometry on disk (out-side of
database) may help.

Bo