[postgis-users] totopogeom resulting in SQL/MM Spatial exception

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Jan 16 08:14:52 PST 2019

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 09:48:30AM -0700, Bo Guo wrote:

>     UPDATE azgiv.roadcenterlines SET grd_topo_geom =
> topology.totopogeom(grd_geom, 'azgiv_topo', l_topo_layer_id, l_tolerance);
>
> I am getting the following error similar to below:
>
>     ERROR: SQL/MM Spatial exception - geometry crosses edge 566760 CONTEXT:
> PL/pgSQL function totopogeom(geometry,topogeometry,double precision)
>
> Wonder if someone could shed some light as to what I need to look for?

I suggest you try with a smaller tolerance for a start. Variations to
tolerance can help in both directions too. Also try to converting to
TopoGeometry in chunks rather than all at once, so you can take the
chance to clean up small faces between runs.

PS: toTopoGeom _does_ split existing edges

--strk;