[postgis-users] Request for ideas to enhance the geometry viewer - GSoC

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:24:35 PST 2019

Oh, i wasn't suggesting render-in-the-DB.  Just throwing out an idea about
how styling metadata could be supplied to pgAdmin.

I guess I wasn't totally clear. The suggestion is to supply dynamic queries
with styling metadata on-the-fly within pgAdmin.  The metadata would *not*
be persisted in the DB (well, it could be, but up to the user).  Putting
the metadata right in SQL allows using all those SQL/Postgres functions we
all know and love.already.

As for Paolo's objection, I can see his point.  But two rebuttles:
- Since it's free, why not put useful functionality everywhere?  :)
- actually it's not free - the cost occurs in having to learn an entirely
new tool.  So if some useful extra functionality pops up in your tool of
choice, that's a win