[postgis-users] PostGIS new geometry type with defined precision?

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:54:18 PDT 2019

JTS already provided a mechanism to specify a precision for geometry, and
this is respected by a number of operations as well (notably the overlay
operations intersection et al and buffer - but not the spatial predicates,
yet).  GEOS should provide this as well, or is close to doing so.  And I'm
currently working on a new implementation of overlay to improve robustness,
which will improve fixed precision computation as well.

The issue of handling fixed precision for predicates is a good question.  I
have an algorithm in the conceptual stages for this.  But it may be
difficult to make it consistent with the overlay operations on a performant
way.  I intend to write up a survey of the options soon.

My current thinking is that precision will be specified as a parameter to
geometry operations.  No new type will be required. It might be nice to
have precision specified in column metadata somehow, but not sure how this
could work