[postgis-users] PostGIS + pgdump

Zwettler Markus (OIZ) Markus.Zwettler at zuerich.ch
Thu May 16 06:09:54 PDT 2019

Hi,

We did a default PostGIS installation within a PostgreSQL 9.6 database:

===
create extension if not exists postgis;
create extension if not exists postgis_topology;
create extension if not exists ogr_fdw;
create extension if not exists pgrouting;
===

This installed PostGIS within the public schema of the database.
(SET SCHEMA is not supported since V2.3 anymore)

Our customer application was also installed within the public schema.

When we pg_dump + pg_restore the database we got a lot of errors.

We tried to pg_restore the dump into a database without postgis extension => postgis errors
We tried to pg_restore the dump into a database with postgis extension => postgis errors
We tried to pg_restore only the public schema into a database with postgis extension => postgis errors

QUESTION:
How does the PostGIS extension have to be installed so that pg_dump + pg_restore DO NOT error out?

Thanks,
Markus