[postgis-users] ST_Subdivide creates nodes outside original polygon

Eduardo Ramos duda.ramos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 08:26:07 PST 2019

Hello all.

I'm exploring the function ST_Subdivide(with type geometry) and noticed
that the nodes that this function creates to divide the original polygon
are missing the polygon edges by ~6cm.

Here is an example:

[image: image.png]
This is originating some issues when using the ST_Intersects because the
new polygons generated by ST_Subdivide are intersecting polygons that were
not being intersected before.

I guess this must be a matter of numeric precision but I we can't control
the precision or the tolerance in either of the two functions (ST_Subdivide
and ST_Intersects).

Is there a way to configure the precision of ST_Subdivide or to play with
the ST_Intersects tolerance?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Eduardo