[postgis-users] breake lines

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:17:37 PDT 2019

Have you tried using ST_Split passing each input line and for the second
argument a MultiLineString comprised of all lines that it might intersect
(obtained via BBOX or ST_Intersects query)?  It seems like that should not
create any duplicate linework from the input line.

As far as I know there's no other way to do this using current PostGIS
functions.   It's an interesting requirement - it sounds like essentially
you want to node one layer against another.  There's actually the machinery
to do this internally in PostGIS/GEOS, but it's never come up as a
requirement before, so has not been exposed as a function.

What is your use case?