[postgis-users] Find LineString segment index containing closest point?

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 16:57:47 PDT 2020

And here's a SQL function to do it:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION ST_LineLocateN( line geometry, pt geometry )
RETURNS integer
AS $$
    SELECT i FROM (
    SELECT i, ST_Distance(
        ST_MakeLine( ST_PointN( line, s.i ), ST_PointN( line, s.i+1 ) ),
        pt) AS dist
      FROM generate_series(1, ST_NumPoints( line )-1) AS s(i)
      ORDER BY dist
    ) AS t LIMIT 1;
$$
LANGUAGE sql STABLE STRICT;

Example:
SELECT ST_LineLocateN( 'LINESTRING (0 0, 10 10, 20 20, 30 30)'::geometry,
  'POINT(15 15.1)'::geometry);
==> 2