[postgis-users] pgsql2shp warning "empty table or unknown spatial ref"

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:02:40 PST 2020

The column names are truncated because the DBF format used by Shapefiles
has a limit of 10 characters for field names [1].
With shp2pgsql there is an option to provide a mapping file to map to
longer names for table columns. [2]

You should say which utility generates the warning.  Does the PostGIS data
have a spatial reference defined?  What is it?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile#Data_storage
[2]
https://postgis.net/docs/manual-3.0/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#shp2pgsql_usage