[postgis-users] pgsql2shp warning "empty table or unknown spatial ref"

Diego Vargas diegov at karbondb.com
Mon Feb 10 15:01:40 PST 2020

Hello, I am using pgsql2shp and shp2pgsql to dump and load a table with gis data, and I’m getting the following message:

"WARNING: Cannot determine spatial reference (empty table or unknown spatial ref). No prj file will be generated."

Now, there is no problem at the load since it seems that the the whole table is loaded without issue.
Yet, I wonder if should I concern about the warning or not at all…

Also, the column name gets truncated/renamed, is there a way to avoid that?

Thanks in advance,
Diego