[postgis-users] How does PostGIS / PostgreSQL distribute parallel work to cores for GIS type data?

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Sun Mar 1 23:53:46 PST 2020

Hi,

There are different ways to push down complexity of each record.
Most popular ones are simplification and subdivision.
For polygons, you can create a new table which will have all polygons
split into small pieces with limited amount of vertices using
ST_Subdivide.
This way instead of more of O(N^2)-but-parallel processing you get
more entries to look up in index via O(NlogN).

Otherwise the mechanism for parallelization is provided by Postgres
and not much can be done on PostGIS side, apart from pre-clustering
table manually on whatever feels right for your query plan.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 2:36 PM Marco Boeringa <marco at boeringa.demon.nl> wrote:

> Hi Darafei,
>
> Sorry, but I do not have the intimate knowledge of the intricacies of
> PostgreSQL / PostGIS that you have, so my post was more of the layman's
> level regarding the database itself. My main expertise is more in the
> field of GIS.
>
> Anyway, regarding your post, I think this already answers some of my
> questions and thoughts.
>
> As I see it from a GIS perspective, there is one other main difference
> with "traditional" OLTP databases for e.g. a commercial bank: many GIS
> type - analytical - operations hit *all* records / tuples of a table as
> default. This is a really uncommon scenario for a "traditional" database
> system. E.g., if you want to calculate the area, perimeter, buffer or
> either types of geometry attributes or derivatives, you usually - but
> not always - do it for all records in an entire table.
>
> This means a sequential scan of the entire table, with all records being
> updated and all geometries read (yes, I know this is not recommended,
> and dropping and re-creating may be more efficient, but it is a really
> common operation from a GIS perspective, both QGIS and ArcGIS have these
> "Field Calculator" type tools to do that). This is why it might make
> sense to distribute records based on geometry complexity, to level out
> any differences in vertex load in tables having an unpredictable and
> uneven distribution of records with large geometries.
>
> Quote:
>
> "Parallel Seq Scan divides table in equal size and gives each part to
> its own worker. It is expected that any nuance in parallel scan is
> offset by multiple queries running at the same time."
>
> While I can see that logic being utterly reasonable for a "traditional"
> OLTP database, is that also true for GIS type data with the vast size
> distribution of geometries? Although it is hard to give figures here,
> because I do not have a fully equivalent non-multi threaded processing
> flow, I do see significant benefits from distributing records based on
> vertex complexity. This is OpenStreetMap data, and some of the records
> being processed (also due to some other intermediate processing I do),
> are well over 100k vertexes, and need processing in the minutes per
> record. I certainly do not see issues with "multiple queries running at
> the same time" as inhibiting the multi-threaded process flow. With 8-16
> connections opened (one for each processing thread) in my multi-threaded
> implementation, PostgreSQL / PostGIS seem to be handling the heavy
> processing fine (on SSD of course).
>
> Marco
>
> Op 1-3-2020 om 11:15 schreef Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can you please be more specific with the question?
> >
> > Parallelism is tuple level. All load balancing is provided by Postgres
> > - different Parallel Scan types have different ordering properties and
> > different tuple passing graph.
> [...]

Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa