[postgis-users] Fwd: Re: Broken installs for PostGIS for Ubuntu 20.04LTS / Focal?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 15 05:39:30 PDT 2020

Several reasons

1)      Each function in itself is not that much, but compounded over many functions is a huge headache as if we change the newer version, we’d then have to remember to change the wrapper and in this case we’d have to keep track of what PostgreSQL is doing upstream since we have no control of array_agg.  Aggregates are especially annoying since we had a state function tied behind this.  So was really like 4 functions.

2)      array_agg has been in PostgreSQL for a long long time.  We assumed most users would be using that already instead of ST_Accum.  There really was no reason to use ST_Accum past PostGIS 1.5 for any version of PostgreSQL. Granted we should have put a note on the page – deprecated so people new we’d be taking it out.

3)      Wrappers  are slower.  In the case of ST_Accum(), I think it’s significantly slower

4)      People are already complaining about too many functions in PostGIS.  So keeping around old ones that we don’t want people using anyway just adds to the frustration of new users.