[postgis-users] Spatial linking or selection

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 15 05:44:17 PDT 2020

Please don’t count of autocasting of geometry -> geography.  This makes your code brittle as it may change in the future.

You should explicitly cast your geometry to geography like

ST_DWithin(a.geom::geography, b.geom::geography, somedistance)

Or

ST_DWithin(geography(a.geom), geography(b.geom), somedistance)

Also keep in mind if you have spatial indexes on geometry – the above function can’t use them .  You’d need to add functional indexes for geography

Something like

CREATE INDEX ix_yourtable_geom_geog_gist USING gist(geography(geom));