[postgis-users] Raster Clipping vs Masking

Daniel Vignoles dvignoles at gmail.com
Wed May 27 07:36:17 PDT 2020

Hello Postgis-users,
I'm looking to find out the most efficient method of clipping/masking a raster with a geometry in postgis.
Inputs:
Multi-band raster

Geometry

Output:
​All pixels of all bands of the raster which intersect with the geometry

So far I have been using the ST_Clip(raster, geom) function.Do you know if there is a way to simply mask the raster with the geometry, rather than perform a clip operation? Would St_Intersection be more appropriate? I'd like to optimize this function as much as possible. Any thoughts/ideas?

Thank you,
Daniel Vignoles