[postgis-users] Postgis and ArcGIS Data Store

Simon Greener simon at spatialdbadvisor.com
Thu Nov 5 10:43:57 PST 2020

ESRI's data tier has always supported multiple "storage types". For Postgresql they support PostGIS and their own ST_Geometry. Which, depends on how you configure it.

A GeoDatabase configured to use ST_Geometry stores cartesian/geographic/geodetic data all in that type (there is no ST_Geography). Their API and indexing treats the geographic data as cartesian when accessed from stored procedures. Geodetic calcs do occur but in the middle/client tier. If database geographic processing is important to you, then choose PostGIS's geography type, or interchange between the types using WKT.

Finally regardless as to storage type all geoprocessing eg buffer is probably not done in the database in order for the ESRI software to provide consistent results.

HTH
Simon
⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​