[postgis-users] Setting multiple columns in one UPDATE request

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sun Sep 27 18:26:15 PDT 2020

I prefer doing it in the FROM and not bothering using a CTE.

So something like

UPDATE <MY_TABLE> SET area = f.area, area_perimeter = f.area/f.perimeter
FROM (SELECT id, ST_Area(<GEOMETRY_COLUMN>) AS area, ST_Perimeter(<GEOMETRY COLUMN>) AS perimeter
        FROM <MY TABLE> ) AS f
WHERE f.id = <MY TABLE>.id;

Note the FROM does not need to be the same as your table, you just need to have a common join.  That makes it particularly handy for updating with aggregate values